Sunday, 22 January 2012

Saturday Kitchen


So recipe picked, Audrey and I head to Venn Street market in Clapham with our long shopping lists on a windy Saturday morning. The produce is fresh: there are wriggling razor clams (see Audrey’s post) and I smell the Rosemary before I see it. I quickly pick up a bunch along with some giant carrots.
I still need to find marinated artichokes and Roma plum tomatoes among other things, so we hop on the Northern Line to Borough market to complete the list.
Turnips turns up trumps for the artichokes, which are resting in olive oil, as well as the Italian Parsley and pine nuts. I buy a juicy-looking shoulder of lamb from a butcher who mocks me about my Pyrus Nexus Coat: “You’ve got your waistcoat on inside out, luv.” In his world food and fashion clearly don’t mix! 
It’s nearly 2pm and I have places to be, so I head home with lots of ingredients left to buy. Looks like I’ll be doing a mid-week sprint across town to get the rest. This cooking malarkey’s definitely shaping up to be an Olympic sport.

Janine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment